فَلَنُحْيِيَنَّهُ حَيَاةً طَيِّبَةً
"Verily we shall quicken with good life." [quran 16:97]
The Good Life
Believe. Serve. Succeed
“[O Maryam] Shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree”, a scene described by the Quran that evokes resolute action at a time of desperation and loss of hope. With this aya about Maryam, the Mother of Isa (pbuh), the teachings of the Quran emerge as a guiding light for Muslims around the world as we face challenges, and moments of despair in our daily lives and communities. We turn to the Quran's wisdom to navigate our way forward. Allah SWT imparts a profound process that unveils hope and transformation, particularly in times when the odds appear insurmountable. This journey of positive transformation is underpinned by the understanding that ultimate success is both attainable and driven by Allah's will and Allah’s power. Amidst the physical and mental burdens Maryam endured during childbirth, her story underscores the value of proactive engagement and the importance of acting within one's means. Even in the midst of seemingly improbable scenarios, Allah SWT's command for Maryam to act within her capacity reinforces the significance of effort and belief in times of challenge. This narrative highlights the pivotal lesson that inaction, even in the face of available resources, yields no change in circumstances. Through the lens of Maryam's story, our dynamic convention program this year highlights these ideas and provides a practical path that is grounded in faith and purposeful action.
- 1- When Muslims individuals and communities in GLA, the nation, and around the world feel that their affairs are regressing compared to other communities and nations, they turn to the teachings of the Quran to find a way out of their challenging situations.
- Allah SWT, through the stories in the Quran, teaches us and all of humanity a process for finding hope and changing our circumstances when we feel helpless and overwhelmed by the odds. The story of Maryam's delivery of her baby, Issa (peace be upon them), holds profound teachings that Allah SWT has blessed us with, providing guidance for reflection and practical application in our own lives when we find ourselves in a hopeless situation.
- Throughout history, many individuals, communities, and nations have followed these teachings, and by the will of Allah SWT, they have been able to break free from their current hopeless situations and progress towards success. These teachings serve as a roadmap for positive transformation, leading to favorable outcomes.
- At the time of Maryam's delivery, she was both physically and mentally burdened - physically from the intense pain of childbirth, and mentally by societal judgment due to her pregnancy without a husband. The burden was so intense that she expressed a momentary desire for death: (Maryam 23) “She Said, Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten” قَالَتْ يَا لَيْتَنِي مِتُّ قَبْلَ هَٰذَا وَكُنتُ نَسْيًا مَّنسِيًّا
- Yet despite the physical and mental challenging circumstances, and knowing that Allah SWT had already decreed the matter: (Maryam 21) “We will make him a sign to the people and a mercy from Us. And it is a matter [already] decreed” وَكَانَ أَمْرًا مَّقْضِيًّا , Maryam accepted the divine decree, but did not stand still; Maryam took action and did what she can in her situation, that is: (Maryam 22) “She withdrew with him to a remote place” فَحَمَلَتْهُ فَانتَبَذَتْ بِهِ مَكَانًا قَصِيًّا . This demonstrates the importance of not staying stagnant, but actively engaging with our situations, doing what we can within our capabilities.
- Even in the moments of birth, Allah SWT instructed Maryam to take action according to her capacity. Though the outcome may have seemed far-fetched given her state, Allah SWT commanded her: (Maryam 25) “[O Maryam] Shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates” وَهُزِّي إِلَيْكِ بِجِذْعِ النَّخْلَةِ تُسَاقِطْ عَلَيْكِ رُطَبًا جَنِيًّا . Allah SWT asked her to act.
- The realization that we must not stand still but instead take action within our means, even if the results seem unlikely, is a crucial lesson from Maryam's story. Maryam understood that success comes from Allah SWT, and she believed in His ability and willingness to bring about favorable outcomes.
- Throughout history, individuals, communities, and nations who have followed the teachings and process conveyed in Maryam's story, as revealed by Allah SWT, have achieved success. By taking action within their capacities and acknowledging that ultimate success comes from Allah SWT, they have set themselves on a dynamic path that can lead to favorable outcomes. Conversely, doing nothing with the resources at hand will never change one's circumstances.